Rihanna won't use 'trans as marketing tool'


Rihanna has been praised by fans for refusing to use "transgender people as marketing tools" for her new beauty range.

Asked by a fan whether she would consider "inviting a trans girl to the group" for her Fenty Beauty marketing campaign, the singer said she did not "go around doing trans castings".


"I've had the pleasure of working with many gifted trans women over the years," Rihanna said.

"But I don't go around doing trans castings!" she added.

"Just like I don't do straight non trans women castings! I respect all women, and whether they're trans or not is none of my business!"

The 29-year-old singer has been a vocal supporter of diversity and her beauty brand Fendy has been marketed as a product for every shade of skin.

"It's personal and some trans women are more comfortable being open about it than others, so I have to respect that as a woman myself! I don't think it's fair that a trans woman, or man, be used as a convenient marketing tool!" RiRi wrote on Instagram.

RiRi prepares models backstage at the FENTY PUMA by Rihanna Spring/Summer 2018 Collection

"Too often do I see companies doing this to trans and black women alike! There's always just that one spot in the campaign for the token 'we look mad diverse' girl/guy! It's sad!"

Her response prompted the fan who had asked her the question to admit he was wrong, writing: "When I thought she couldn't teach me more..."

Trans activist Raquel Willis also supported Rihanna's views, writing: "Loving this take by Rihanna AND I think any casting or employment opportunity should clearly state its inclusion of trans (and other marginalized) folks.

"This is necessary in a world where we're still denied access and lacking legal protection in so many ways."

Comments